Early Childhood Education
Credential Earned: Ontario College Diploma
Delivery: Full Time
Program Length: 4 Semesters
Early Childhood Educators (ECE’s) are professionals who are part of a multidisciplinary team that may include behavioural therapists, speech pathologists, consultants, parents and school representatives. They assist children to make a successful transition to, and integration into the school system. In addition to working with infants and children up to 12 years old, Early Childhood Educators will also be part of a team and expected to work in a professional and competent manner with staff, parents, and community members. Graduates require good communication, critical thinking and problem solving skills, as well as sound judgment.
Besides planning and conducting the regular routines of the day, students will have the opportunity to observe children to determine their present skill level in each developmental area. Students will research, plan, carry out and evaluate a full range of program and curriculum activities designed to help each child reach his/her full developmental potential. A distinct feature of the program is the opportunity it offers students to gain practical work experience in a variety of settings: day care centres, nursery schools, parent resource centres, toy-lending libraries, junior and senior kindergartens, and before- and after-school programs throughout the community.
Early Childhood Educators/ECE’s may find employment in daycare centres, nursery schools, agencies or recreation departments, toy-lending libraries, college day care labs, friendship centres, Ontario Early Years Centres, family resource centres, early learning literacy programs, hospital play rooms and Full-day early learning programs in JK/SK classrooms.
January, May, September
The tuition is $15509/year including ancillary fees and medical insurance for international students.
From September 2021, the tuition is $16485/year including ancillary fees and medical insurance for international students.
Tuition fees as stated are subject to change for each academic year.
|Semester 1• AA1063 Behaviour Intervention
• AA1093 Developmental Disabilities Across the Lifespan
• CM1913 Communications I – Model B
• EC1023 Principles of Child Care
• EC1033 Methods of Child Care
• HS1022 Community Services 1st Year Orientation
• PS1163 Developmental Psychology
|Semester 2• EC1053 School Age Environment
• AA2041 Community Service Learning
• AA2063 Autism Spectrum Disorders
• CM2913 Communications II – Module B
• DS4063 Health and Nutrition
• EC2003 Creative Teaching Strategies
• EC2013 Creative Arts Workshop
• EC2023 Pre-School Environment
|Semester 3• EC2043 ECE Reflective Practice
• SW2023 Conflict Resolution/Mediation
• AA3053 Understanding the Family
• AA3063 Building Family Support
• EC2033 Working with Diversity
• EC3001 ECE Fieldwork Seminar
• EC4016 Child Care Administration
• EC4033 Infant Toddler Programming
|Semester 4• EC3001 ECE Fieldwork Seminar
• EC3016 ECE Fieldwork Placement
• EC4000 Fieldwork (5 weeks)
• EC4001 Fieldwork (5 weeks)
• EC4051 Fieldwork (5 weeks)
• EC4061 ECE Fieldwork Seminar (1 day/month)